Recipe by magpie diner
Another adaptation from Vegan a Go Go. I changed this to spelt flour, just personal preference and a little more protein. I also halved the amount of oil and used some applesauce to save on some calories.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
Oh boy, this was a hit this morning! I was looking for a special treat breakfast for DS, and this fit perfectly! I love spelt flour in baked goods for its lightness, but this was the first time I've used it alone without any wheat at all. It did not disappoint! I used 1/4 c honey instead of the sugar, and since that added extra liquid I cut back the oil a bit further as well. Neither change seems to have harmed the finished product; I made 12 muffins and DH ate 6 of them in one sitting! This makes 12 good sized muffins, so I imagine a loaf would be tall and delicious! I added a touch of cinnamon (because I am an addict) and chocolate chips on top of half (see "special breakfast for DS" above :>). Thanks for posting, magpie--I know I will make this again.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (or any light oil)
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups spelt flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl mash up the bananas and then mix in the lemon juice, oil, applesauce, sugar and dates.
- In a larger bowl stir together the flour, oat bran, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix gently until "just" mixed.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes (do the toothpick test to be sure).