Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This would be great given as a gift, Unique gift idea - banana bread baked in a jar. Banana bread baked and sealed in a jar will keep for about 1 year. The banana bread in a jar recipe makes 7 pint jars of banana bread.
- Preparation: set up 7 wide-mouth pint-size canning jars, metal rings and lids.
- Don't use any other jars.
- Sterilize jars, lids and rings according to manufacturer's directions.
- Grease inside, but not the rim of jars.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In large bowl cream sugar and shortening with electric mixer.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix well.
- Place dry ingredients in a separate large bowl and blend with a whisk.
- Add creamed ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with whisk and spoon.
- Gently stir in mashed bananas and nuts.
- Pour one cup of batter into prepared jars.
- DO NOT use more than one cup of banana bread recipe batter or it will overflow and jar will not seal.
- Place banana bread recipe filled jars evenly spaced on a cookie sheet.
- Place in a pre-heated 325F oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. **Yield amount is pint jars.
- Remove banana bread recipe jars from oven one at a time keeping remaining jars in oven.
- Working quickly, wipe rim, place lid and ring on jar and secure.
- Jars will seal quickly.
- Repeat with remaining jars.
- When ready to serve, banana bread will slide out.
- A properly sealed banana bread in a jar recipe will stay fresh for one year.
- GIFTY TIP FOR YOUR BANANA BREAD IN A JAR RECIPE:
- Place a circle of patterned fabric (9" diameter will do it) under the ring of the lid, or over top the lid secured by a rubber band. Put a ribbon and bow of raffia or fabric around the ring of the lid over top the rubber band. A hot glue gun will be handy to add other decor.
the only thing i would do differently is only fill the jars half way cause with a full cup my jars where over flowing in the oven
omg! best thing ever!! you can do this with any type of cake! I made pumpkin bread in a jar! super yummy! great gifting idea!