Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is designed to fit into wide mouth, one-pint canning jars. You can pick up these jars in most grocery stores. A simple circle of cloth placed between the seal and the ring (of a two-part canning lid) makes a pretty effect and you could also add a ribbon around the ring.
- 2 2⁄3 cups white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In large bowl, cream sugar and shortening with electric mixer.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Next, add buttermilk and vanilla and mix well.
- Place dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add creamed ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gently stir in mashed bananas and nuts.
- Prepare seven one-pint wide-mouth canning jars with vegetable shortening.
- Place one cup of batter in each jar; do not use more than one cup or batter will overflow and jar will not seal.
- Place jars evenly spaced on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Working quickly, wipe rim, place lid and ring on jar and secure.
- Jars will seal quickly.
- Repeat with remaining jars.
- When ready to serve, bread will slide out.