Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, sugar, egg whites, banana and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture all at once and stir gently to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool bread completely before slicing.
One important thing is missing from this recipe: Salt! Never bake sweets without salt. One teaspoon was the right amount for this recipe. Now that that's out of the way: This is terrific! Mine came out a little dry; after just 45 minutes it was almost overdone. I substituted yogurt for the applesauce since the best (fattening) recipe I know calls for sour cream. Also cut the sugar by 1/3, added whole wheat flour to the mix, used two whole eggs, and mixed in some chopped toasted walnuts. Next time, when I'm not making this for my Splenda-phobic family, I'll use brown sugar blend.
Added this to my collection of banana breads as it turned out well. I used 3/4 whole wheat flour and whole eggs. More spices would be great.
I cut a little of the sugar, added a bit more cinnamon and some chocolate chips to this recipe. It took forever to bake though. I had to leave the house so I finally turned the oven off and left it in the oven, so I'm not sure how long I had to bake it. Second time I made it though it baked in the normal amount of time. I guess the first time was a fluke.