Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this on Pinterest and decided to give it a go. This recipe doesn't use sugar and adapts well when you use all purpose flour instead of the whole wheat pastry flour it calls for. It is a loose batter, but bakes up nicely. A great, subtle banana flavor!
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean powder)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (I used two over ripe bananas)
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus
- more ground cinnamon, to swirl on top
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2. In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together.
- 3. Add eggs, and mix well.
- 4. Stir in bananas and vanilla, then stir in flour, salt and cinnamon.
- 5. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter.
- 6. Spread batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- 7. Sprinkle with cinnamon, and swirl with a toothpick for a pretty marbled effect.
- 8. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Be sure to check that the bread is done baking by inserting a toothpick in the top. It should come out clean.
- 9. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.
- Read more at: http://www.food.com/members/subm/editr2?oc=linkback.