Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have been making banana bread for my grandson and I thought I could change things to make it diabetic friendly so I can have a piece and no one is any the wiser that it's suitable for a diabetic. Hope you like it.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, splenda blend
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (light)
- 2 eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Sift flours together with baking powder and salt.
- Mash bananas and mix with oil and eggs.
- Add the sugar blend to flour mix and then add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Fold in walnuts if using.
- sprinkle with a little brown sugar if you wish after putting in loaf tin.
- Bake in a loaf tin at 170 Celsius for 40 minutes.
It wouldn't be fair to rate this recipe because I changed a lot of it...used 4 banans, used only 1/2 c of white flour and added 1/2 c of quick oats, used one egg and 1/2 c low fat sour cream and put in cinnamon. Bread was great..probably needed more time to bake maybe 5-7 longer. I just try to cut down on as much white flour as possible and the oats were really good in it. The best result was that I had it for breakfast and didn't raise my blood sugar any more than any diabetic conscious recipe!
I made this recipe last night, however I did make two slight changes. I thought the two tablespoons of baking powder was a bit much, so I used a teaspoon of baking soda instead (our family handed down thru generations banana bread recipe calls for the teaspoon of baking soda, so I tried it) and it came out fine. I also used canola oil in place of the olive oil. Watch your time baking this though as over-baking can dry it out quickly. Other then that it has a nice flavor and texture. I will definitely make this again.
Thanks so much for posting this. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and my wife baked this recipe for me to try. It was excellent and will be on the top of my list of occasional treats. No one would guess that this is diabetic-friendly from the taste. It's just great banana bread!