Recipe by Wyldemoon
Many years ago when I was a waitress, one of my dear customers gave me this recipe. This is the best tasting Banana Bread I've ever had! The vinegar you use to make the sour milk can change the taste of the bread, so feel free to experiment! Balsamic vinegar brings depth to the flavor, and apple cider vinegar gives a lighter, fruitier flavor. I often make several loaves at a time and store them in the freezer in zip-top plastic bags.
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Make sour milk: Stir vinegar into milk and set aside. After a couple of minutes it will look curdled. This is what you want!
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, bananas, and sour milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir to combine.
- Optional: you can stir in nuts or chocolate chips at this point.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.