Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
How is this one different? It's made with banana bread instead of plain bread. I had an extra loaf of it that needed to be eaten or frozen, and was thinking about my Gingerbread Bread Pudding, and thought--"Why not?" So here it is...start with a layer of your favorite banana bread, a layer of chopped bananas, more bread, and a lovely custard poured over the whole thing. It is heavenly! A nice change of pace, and very easy to throw together.
- 1 loaf banana bread (approximately 9 x 5, or 8 x 4 inches, OR about 6 cups total cubed banana bread)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana (chopped or sliced, you may need 2 if they're smallish)
- Heat the oven to 350°F, and grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Slice the banana bread into 1 inch slices, place on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven, about 8-10 minutes, then cut into cubes.
- Place half the cubes in the baking dish, and cover with the chopped or sliced banana, then add the rest of the bread cubes over that.
- Whisk the half and half, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl, and pour over the banana bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes before putting it in the oven.
- Bake for one hour--a knife inserted in the center will look wet, but mostly clean.
- Let it set for 5-10 minutes, and scoop out and serve warm, with cream, or it's even delicious plain.
Fabulous! Rave reviews at my dinner party. Served with praline bourbon sauce. Delicious.
This was delicious. I made some mini-loaves of banana bread, but didn't have enough banana, so they turned out a little dry. I wanted to use them some other way, so I found this recipe. The only thing I did different was using a 9x13 pan (I don't own an 8x8). Served with vanilla ice cream...yummy.
this was delicious i served it with ice cream and caramel sauce and my guests loved it