Recipe by Hippie2MARS
I love both banana bread and banana pudding, so I decided to put them together for this rich, deliciously addictive dessert. Note that this is easily split into to desserts. I ususally make a smaller one for home and a larger one to take to whatever event I'm bringing dessert to.
- 18 ounces butter pecan cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 large overripe bananas
- 1 cup oil
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxesinstant banana cream pudding
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large banana
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 16 vanilla wafers
- 1 (16 ounce) container non-dairy whipped topping
- 4 vanilla wafers
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas until no large chunks are left.
- Add eggs and the 1 T vanilla and mix on high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Lower speed to medium, slowly add the cake mix, then the oil.
- Mix just long enough to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour into 9x13 baking pan and bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- When finished, remove from oven and immediately make 16-20 holes all over the surface of the cake (I use a small wooden dowel for this, but the handle of a wooden spoon works nicely).
- Allow cake to cool completely; while it's cooling, slice the banana into thin slices and toss the slices in the lemon juice, then set aside.
- When cake is cooled, whisk 3 cups of the milk with the two boxes of pudding and the teaspoon of vanilla.
- Working very quickly while the mixture is still thin, pour half the pudding over the holes of the cake, setting aside the remaining half of the pudding.
- Arrange 16 of the vanilla wafers on top of the cake, covering the holes.
- To the reserved pudding, whisk in the remaining cup of milk and allow it to set (about 2 minutes); then evenly spread pudding over vanilla wafer layer.
- Drain the lemon juice off the bananas and layer them over the pudding.
- Swirl whipped topping over the top, taking care not to pick up the bananas or the pudding.
- Crush remaining 4 vanilla wafers, sprinkle cookie crumbs over cake.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours (overnight is better).