Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has got to be my favorite banana bread. I have made so many from this website and others. The key is the frozen bananas.
- 5 bananas (ripe, and previously frozen)
In a small bowl mix
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
In a med bowl whisk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Defrost bananas in microwave and reserve all the liquid. Reduce just the liquid to about 1/4 cup and add this to bananas and mash.
- Add the banana mash to wet ingredients in the med bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and add 1/2 cup of toasted chopped nuts.
- Pour in a greased pan and top batter with an addtional thinly sliced banana if desired(it does look really good with the bananas on top!) Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of sugar to carmelize the sliced bananas as it cooks. Bake at 350 for 1 hour -rotate pan half way. Cool for 15 minutes in pan before removing.
I have made this version many time and the fact is everyone loves it. I make a version with nuts and another with dried fruit for those who cannot eat nuts. Both are devoured in no time at all. The flavor is perfect as is the texture and crumb of the bread. If you make this once it will become your go to recipe for banana bread - never dry and never too heavy or soggy.
Great recipe! Was doughtful about the banana "juice" reduction but the bananas are def the hero. Used fresh, very ripe bananas. Turned out great! Please view the original test kitchen video for techique.
This banana bread has a lovely moist texture. I added cinnamon , nutmeg and cardamom to spice it up. This created a great flavor profile. I replaced the butter with canola oil and it worked well.