Recipe by ellie_
Easy to make banana bread makes two loaves, one to eat now and one to share or freeze. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (December, 1986).
Top Review by Annacia
In truth I believe that this is the finest textured banana bread that I have ever made. It came out like a well made cake, very light- I could even say fluffy! even with the whole wheat flour. I added 1 tsp of cinnamon and a rather generous 1/4 of the cloves and some chopped walnuts did not go amiss. I used 1 cup of Splenda which was fine for me but some might want it a bit sweeter (like my DH). Thanks ellie for a lovely recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Spray 2 loaf pans (4x8) with cooking spray or grease pans with butter.
- Cream butter with sugar and salt in mixing bowl.
- Add next 6 ingredients (eggs- cloves) and mix well.
- Stir in nuts (if using) and bananas.
- Pour into the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour- 1 hour ten minutes or until toothpick comes clean when inserted in middle of loaves.