Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love this banana bread. It is an old family recipe that I decided to share! Oftentimes I will use butter instead of shortening, but for the sake of keeping nana's recipe, I will list it as she makes it :)
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 -3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat shortening until creamy, on medium speed; approximately 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until thick and lemon in color.
- Add dry ingredients slowly, and mix thoroughly.
- Add bananas and mix until completely mixed through the batter.
- Grease bottom of a loaf pan.
- Only the bottom-- not the sides.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until knife comes clean.
- Cooking times may vary greatly from oven to oven.
This was very good and easy to make. I doubled the recipe, giving one loaf to my cousin, because that's how many bananas that I needed to use up. Without the 'traditional' cinnamon and nutmeg the banana flavor was more pronounced than we've been accustomed to in the past. Thanks for sharing this recipe Angela.
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy. This is quick and easy; blend it and pop it in the oven. My oven cooked it in 40 minutes. When it is was done, I let it cool for a minute and dug in. I had all the stuff on hand. This could be a permant fixture at my house! Good job.
This banana bread is very easy to make and it uses ingredients that most people keep on hand. I had to bake mine for about 50-55 minutes. It was delicious warm out of the oven and also buttered and toasted for breakfast. Thanks for sharing your old family recipe!