Recipe by love4culinary
I love this banana bread. It is an old family recipe that I decided to share! Oftentimes I will use butter instead of shortening, but for the sake of keeping nana's recipe, I will list it as she makes it :)
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
This was very good and easy to make. I doubled the recipe, giving one loaf to my cousin, because that's how many bananas that I needed to use up. Without the 'traditional' cinnamon and nutmeg the banana flavor was more pronounced than we've been accustomed to in the past. Thanks for sharing this recipe Angela.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 -3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat shortening until creamy, on medium speed; approximately 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until thick and lemon in color.
- Add dry ingredients slowly, and mix thoroughly.
- Add bananas and mix until completely mixed through the batter.
- Grease bottom of a loaf pan.
- Only the bottom-- not the sides.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until knife comes clean.
- Cooking times may vary greatly from oven to oven.