Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is the last recipe for banana bread you'll ever need, as all others pale in comparison!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 to 2 1/2 large ones)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (220 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray one 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray coating and place a piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom.
- Blend together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and bananas.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add this to the banana mixture in 3 stages . Mix well. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Take a plastic picnic knife and go around the edges to loosen the loaf. Remove from loaf from pan and place on cooling rack. Try not to nibble on the loaf for 15 more minutes.
- Note -- To simulate buttermilk, use 1/3 cup half and half mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice - stir. Let this sit for 5 minutes to develop flavor.