Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this from one of my sister-in-law's cookbook and adjusted it a little to make it my own. I've tried other banana bread recipes and they honestly don't compare to this one, at least that's what my family thinks. I always double my recipe when I make this because if I only make one, it never lasts more than an hour after I make it. I also let my bananas sit on my counter for a week before I use them to make bread with; you'll know it's good to make bread when it's all brown and mushy!
- 1 cup banana, mashed, about 3 mediums
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (I often use olive because that's what I have on hand)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, sugar, egg, oil and almond extract.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; then slowly mix into the banana batter until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Pour the banana bread mix into a greased loaf pan, or cupcake pan, and bake for 30-45 minutes for cupcakes, or an hour a loaf. (I know my bread is ready when it's golden, not brown, on top, I don't even have to do the toothpick test.).
Needed something to take to a friend who just came home from the hospital and figured this would be perfect. I've made several bananna bread recipes and this one while not my all time favorite (I tend to like sour cream in them) it was very good, moist and tender and for me the cooking time was spot on. I did make 2 changes that I did make, used vanilla and no almond as I didn't have any and I did add a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans just because I like them in my bread. All in all a nice bread that was truly easy to put together. Made for Bargain Basement Game
Made this with one change ~ Since we do enjoy bananas, I used banana extract instead of the almond & that worked wonders, intensifying that primary flavor very nicely! Would certainly make this again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Magic Brownie Pudding
The almond extract overpowered everything else. It tasted pretty gross.
If you're intent on trying this recipe anyway, you may want to cover the pan for part of the baking time- the outside of mine got done way before the inside, and covering it will help remedy that.