Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my mom's recipe. It's one of my favorite breakfast treats of all time. Tip: when the loaves cool, wrap them in aluminum foil. This prevents them from drying out. Note that, while the recipe says to use 2 big loaf pans, you can make 4 mini loaf pans. Those are perfect for last-minute Christmas gifts.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a dinner plate,peel and mash the bananas.
- Add the lemon juice, and mash again.
- Cream the sugar and the butter in a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Add the Bisquick, nutmeg, and cinnamon last.
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pans and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the middle is no longer gooey.
It's my fault, I think, that this recipe went horribly wrong for me. I have horrible luck with banana bread anyway, and I keep trying to find a recipe that is failproof. I totally missed the instruction that was noted only in the introduction (you may want to add that to the actual recipe) to put this in 4 large pans. I used 3 smaller ones and they were between 1/2 and 2/3 full, but I had a horrible overflowing burned mess in the bottom of my oven. The bread never set and the edges were burned after 45 minutes. What is cooked nicely is very good, so I am sure that the problems with this are mine since others have had success with this recipe. I'll keep trying! Made for PAC Spring '11.
I followed the directions as written except I used Heart Healthy Bisquick. This might be why I found it not as moist as I would like. I am going to give it another chance and I will rate it again.
This was a big hit with my kids. I used a regular stand mixer and ended up having to cook the loaves for an extra 12 minutes or so. My kids each had 2 pieces on the night that we had it for dessert. I made this for spring PAC 2010.