Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I can't believe this Emeril recipe is not on Zaar yet! Well it's here now and I'll be making it with my over ripe bananas. It includes macadamia nuts but you can substitute pecans, walnuts, chocolate chips or blueberries. Just make make sure to toss them in flour first so they don't sink.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Oil and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the shortening and sugar. With the mixer running on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time. Add the bananas and mix well. Add the baking soda, salt, flour, nuts and cinnamon and mix thoroughly. The dough will be sticky.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan and bake about one hour or until the center is brown and set. Keep an eye on this as most people find that it cooks sooner, while others say it took a bit longer.
Very good bread. The macadamia nuts were a nice addition. I took Katzen's advice and coarsely chopped the macadamia nuts. This is delicious when served with Honey Cinnamon Spread for Bagels. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for ZWT5.
Good recipe, worked out well - I added 1 tsp vanilla and upped the cinnamon a bit. Wish I'd have chopped the macadamia nuts to better distribute them throughout the loaf. Made for ZWT5. Thanks, cookiedog!