1/2 Photos of Banana Bread
1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe my mother uses. Her hometown grocery store actually gave her too-ripe bananas to bake this bread and sell in their store. My friend, Amy, would say this is her family's most-requested treat from "Aunt Becky".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cream shortening, sugar and egg. Add mashed bananas and sour milk. Note: To make sour milk, I place a drop of distilled vinegar in the bottom of the measuring spoon and fill the rest up with milk.
- 3Sift dry ingredients and add to banana mixture, mixing carefully.
- 4Divide the batter in half. I like to add nuts to one loaf, cranberries to the other or just make one or both plain.
- 5Pour batter into two greased loaf pans.
- 6Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean.
- 7When done, remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours.
- 8To remove bread from pan, carefully turn pan upside-down and place hand under loaf to catch.
- 9Cut into 1/2-inch slices and serve with or without butter spread.
- 10Store in air-tight container. The bread will keep for up to five days.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.3
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 258.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g