Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mom made this all the time when I was a child and now I make it for my little ones. It's easy to make and delicious!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 overripe mashed bananas
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 loaf pans.
- In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set a side.
- In another bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix in flour mixture.
- Stir in mashed bananas, buttermilk, and nuts (optional). Spread in prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Made it just like she suggested and it is a spectacular recipe. I did all the sugar suggested and it is perfect, can't imagine using less for a bread like this. Also I live at 7200 feet, so 45 minutes was the correct cooking time. Mine fell in the middle, a bit, as well so I will tinker with this one a touch. The altitude is hard on all recipes like this, but this one is a definate keeper. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll have another piece!
I used margarine instead of butter. I used 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar. It's enough sweet. I used whole milk cause that's what I had. No nuts cause I didn't have. It's really good. It was in the oven for 55 minutes. Made for PAC Fall 2007.
Well, darn it...I so wanted this to work, but it fell in the middle not even half way through baking it. I did, however double the recipe and make little muffin ones that turned out pretty good. Not sure if it was something in the recipe or me, but haha...probably me? Thanks...we DID have a great time making it.