Recipe by jswope162
you may wish to add your favorite nut
Top Review by MelissaO'
I made some changes to this (because of the ingredients I had on hand...) First, I only had "Frosted Mini Wheats", so I blended (in batches) 90 of them to create just over a cup. Then I only added 1/3 C. splenda granular (less than the 1 C. because my shredded wheat was frosted). I used 1/4 C. light butter, 1/4 C. unsweetened applesauce, and 2 egg whites. I followed the directions to the T with my substitutions. The batter was heavy, but the bread was yummy! The only change I should have made was to bake it for 5-10 minutes SHORTER than the hour I baked it. The edges were a little tough.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup shredded wheat cereal, finery crushed
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F
- Mix flour, cereal, spice, baking powder and baking soda medium bowl; set aside.
- BEAT sugar and margarine in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Add flour mixture alternate with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Blend mashed bananas.
- Pour into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- BAKE 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack;
- remove from pan.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into 16 slices.