Top Review by sfuchs82
Awesome! I used some VERY RIPE (black) bananas that had been in my freezer and was happy with how well it turned out. I make it in 2 smaller loaf pans and baked for about 40 minutes and plan and giving 1 to the new neighbor. I used 1/4 tsp. of lemon peel (from my spice rack) since I didn't have any fresh lemons on hand. Like others, I also added about a tsp. of vanilla, just because :-) Definitely a keeper and I will make it again.
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ginger, ground
- 1.23 ml allspice, ground
- 1.23 ml nutmeg, grated
- 4.92 ml grated lemon zest (optional)
- 59.14 ml almonds, ground (optional)
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 354.88 ml ripe bananas, mashed (4 medium)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, allspice and nutmeg together in bowl.
- Add lemon zest and almonds.
- Stir until combined.
- Set aside. Beat butter in large mixing bowl until soft and creamy.
- Beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until thoroughly blended.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with bananas until mixture is well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in center of oven 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Invert from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Variation: Banana-walnut or -pecan bread: Omit almonds.
- Add 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans with bananas.