Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 9 ripe bananas
- 6 eggs
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1 dash clove (optional)
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts
- Mix together flour, salt, soda and spices, set aside.
- Place 4-5 bananas and 3 eggs in blender, blend thoroughly.
- Place remaining bananas and eggs in blender, blend thoroughly.
- Cream sugar and shortening, blend in banana and egg mixture.
- Mix in flour, but do not overmix.
- Bake in greased bread tins.
- A bundt pan also works nicely but will not hold entire recipe.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until bread tests done.
Although I omitted the cloves and nuts, and substituted butter for the shortening (I had run out), this was some of the best banana bread I have ever tasted. My family loved it. This was also the FIRST TIME I'd ever made banana bread, and I couldn't believe how EASY this recipe was. I made little cupcakes as well, and they were also excellent. I'll most definately be making this recipe again. Thanks!
I decided to try this recipe because the girls and I love banana bread, it was raved about on the boards 'and' I had 9 ripe bananas I needed to do something with. I've put off reviewing because I really regret that I can't honestly give it a higher rating. :-( It just tasted so bland to me. I did add cinnamon, cloves and nutmet (as well as walnuts), but it just seemed to be missing something. My daughters each tried one piece and didn't want any more. I ended up throwing almost all of it out on the third day. If I decide to make this again, it will be for an 'event' and I will kick up the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to at least 2 teaspoons each and may add some vanilla as well. The appearance and texture were great! Thank you for sharing your wife's recipe William. I'm sorry I have to report we were disappointed with it.
I followed the recipie to a "T", using 1/16 of a teaspoon of the spices for a das, and the bread as delicious. It was very moist and rich in banana flavor. I would recommend to a banana bread lover.