Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is THE best Banana bread I've ever had and the one my kids beg me for and also the one I make for X-mas gifts every year. I found this recipe in an old Settlement cookbook (my favorite cookbook) and it's extremely easy to make. It has just the right amount of moist flavor and is great either chilled or at room temperature. This bread freezes well too and is easiest to slice when it's cold. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 -3 ripe bananas (2 if large)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and the salt together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Mash bananas until there are no large chunks.
- Add eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk to the butter and sugar mixture and mix together.
- Add to flour mixture alternately.
- When well blended, pour into a greased bread pan and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
this was a very nice banana bread.made my kitchen smell wonderful as it was baking.i spread one slice with peanut butter as you can tell from the pictures,and the peanut butter didn't overpower the banana taste at all.thank you for posting.
This was a great recipe. I was looking for a banana bread recipe that was lower in fat and sugar than my usual one, without compromising moisture. This definitely is one to try!
Great recipe for banana bread. Moist and good flavor.