Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
In searching for the perfect banana bread recipe, I was excited to find this at allrecipes.com. It features brown sugar, which I remember being an ingredient in my mother's perfect banana bread! Her bread was dark brown and very moist; heavy even, which is the way I love it! This recipe turned out OK but it was a bit dry, definitely not the moist bread I remember! The bread rose quite high. I doubled the recipe to make two loaves, since I had a whole bag of over-ripe bananas. Still I thought the amount of mashed bananas called for was way too much, so I halved it (as reflected in the ingredients list below). My search continues...
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (I used vegetable shortening)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mashed overripe banana (3 bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.