Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, firm
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in bran and nuts.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg; stir in banana, yogurt, brown sugar and molasses.
- Add to dry ingredients, all at once, stirring just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 medium greased muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in cups on wire racks.
- Remove from cups and let cool completely.
- Serve with Strawberry Butter.
- Straw berry Butter: Cream together 1/2 cup (125 mL) softened butter and 1/2 cup (125 mL) strawberry jam. Makes about 1 cup (250 mL).
- TIP: Add a topping treat to your muffins before you bake them. Over batter in muffin cups, sprinkle quick-cooking rolled oats, cinnamon and sugar, sesame seeds or chopped nuts.
These muffins turned out great despite my short-cuts! I haven't hand mixed any kind of dough for years. I softened the butter, cut a banana in four pieces and threw all the muffin ingredients together in my handy dandy kitchen machine. In thirty seconds I was ready to fill muffin cups. I didn't make the strawberry butter, as I prefer a plain muffin without any topping. Thanks for the recipe. I plan on making another batch tomorrow.
Tasty combination of banana and bran even with plain old butter. Thanks for sharing.
These muffins were very good, with a nice txture and flavor. The strawberry butter is pretty and taste s great. thanks Dancer