Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a "Cooking with St. Lawrence Corn Oil" booklet. Moist and tasty.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 egg
- 2 bananas (ripe ones, mashed)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Sift and measure flour.
- Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg. Add brown sugar and bran.
- Beat egg into mashed banana, then combine with remaining liquid ingredients.
- Combine with dry ingredients with a few swift strokes.
- Fill lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400F, 25-30 minutes.
I really enjoyed these bran muffins. I was short on 1 banana (and subbed about 1/4 cup applesauce) but still enjoyed the subtle banana flavor. I added some currants inside the batter and on top, but the ones I sprinkled on top just got crispy, so I will forgo that next time. Thanks Pepita, for a very nice recipe! Roxygirl