Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These aren't to sweet which is what I like about them. Also they are healthy and filling! Hope you enjoy them
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 small)
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, pour boiling water over bran; let stand for one hour.
- Mix in banana, sugar, egg, oil, vanilla, and lemon rind.
- Mix together flour, skim milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to bran mixture, stirring just until combined but not over mixing.
- Spoon into lightly greased or paper-lined muffins cps, filling to top.
- Bake in 400 F(200 C) over for 15-18 minutes or until golden and tops are firm to the touch.
This is a great way to use up over ripe bananas. I followed the recipe to include waiting the 1 hour. Next time around, I think I will use banana extract in place of the vanilla and toss in some chopped pecans. These are a nice healthy muffin which is great with peanut butter. Thanks for the recipe.
These are good muffins. They are moist and the level of sweetness (or lack of, that is) is to my liking. It would be nicer if the banana flavor were a little stronger, however, and I feel that the vanilla and lemon zest detract from the banana flavoring. I'd like to give 4 and a half stars for this recipe, but cannot. I started making these in the morning and had poured the boiling water over the bran when things came up. So, my bran sat in the water for about 5 hours. This may be the reason that I found the mixture rather thick. It did not fill up 12 muffin cups to the top, but the muffins rose well. Thank you very much for this good recipe. Sorry to be such a banana muffin purist.
These muffins turned out great! I made exactly as stated and the texture and flavor were just right. A perfect way to use up ripe bananas while getting some healthy bran in the diet! Thanks for posting.