Delicious plain or toasted and stays moist for days. Recipe from Canadian Dairy Farmers Association
Make and share this Banana Bran Breakfast Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- To make buttermilk if fresh is not available, combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) of white vinegar with milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- In a large bowl, stir together bran, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, eggs, bananas, orange juice and peel.
- Fold into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Stir in raisins and walnuts and spoon batter into a buttered 9"x 5" (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- For the adventurous:Add dried cranberries instead of raisins.