Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious plain or toasted and stays moist for days. Recipe from Canadian Dairy Farmers Association
- 3⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- To make buttermilk if fresh is not available, combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) of white vinegar with milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- In a large bowl, stir together bran, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, eggs, bananas, orange juice and peel.
- Fold into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Stir in raisins and walnuts and spoon batter into a buttered 9"x 5" (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- For the adventurous:Add dried cranberries instead of raisins.
This is fantastic! The kids just inhaled it for dessert calling it "cake." I made just as written but replaced butter with coconut oil, left out the raisins and added a few chocolate chips instead. Very easy, healthy, and yummy. That's 5 stars from us. Thanks 1Steve....
Delicious taste, and makes a very big loaf that holds together well in the toaster. But I did not rate it a 5 because I think the cooking directions are off. After 60 minutes it was still a little underdone in the center. But because it is so dense, a toothpick tester is not a clear indicator. So I had to put it back in the oven and bake this bread for 1 hr 15 minutes.
Great recipe! I have made it exactly as writen and also with a couple of adjustments. Dates for raisins, a whole madarin orange (which I pureed in a blender) in place of the juice and rind of an orange. It tasted even more fabulous than the original.