Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a nice high fiber, disgustingly healthy, bread but is also quite good. It is based on "Very Moist Banana Bread" - the best banana bread ever. This recipe is lighter and healthier and almost as tasty. Some banana tips: This bread is best with very ripe, black bananas. Put ripe bananas in the freezer. They will ripen a little more and stay usable for several months. The frozen bananas will thaw in less than an hour at room temperature. You can also ripen a banana in the microwave. Start with 30 seconds. Add 15 more seconds, continue until ripe.
- 5 bananas, very ripe
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Kellogg's all-bran cereal, original
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 cup pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray 2 8” x 4” loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and applesauce and blend.
- Mash the bran cereal (not flakes) and mix with flour.
- Add remaining dry ingredients (except baking soda) and stir well.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk. Put this in a container bigger than one cup. It will foam up a lot. [make sour milk by adding 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar].
- Add milk mixture to rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in nuts and pour into greased pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 5 minutes depending on your oven. Start checking for doneness at 55 minutes. (especially with Pyrex pans)
- For a moist bread, a toothpick should come out almost clean. Totally clean will mean a dryer loaf.
- After removing from oven, let cool for 15 minutes and remove from pans. Bread will freeze nicely.