Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from Martha Stewart September 1993.
Make and share this Banana Bourbon Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature (more for pans)
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (more for pans)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 -3 ripe bananas, enough to make 1 cup mashed
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3 bananas, not too ripe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350°F If not using silpat, grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time. In another bowl, mash bananas, and combine with buttermilk and vanilla. Add alternately to butter mixture with flour mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- When cake layers are cool, whip cream with confectioners’ sugar until stiff. Fold in sour cream. Place a cake layer on a plate, and spread with filling to within 1 inch of edge. Place other layer on top, and press down lightly. Chill for 1 hour.
- Slice bananas 1/2 inch thick. Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. When it sizzles, add slices in a single layer. Sprinkle with sugar. When golden brown, turn slices; cook until brown on other side.
- Carefully pour in bourbon (using a measuring cup, never the bottle) and ignite with a match. Cook until flames die down, shaking the pan to toss bananas in syrup. Remove from heat.
- Arrange banana slices on top of cake. Pour remaining syrup over cake, letting it drip down sides. Serve immediately.