Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My son loves banana bread and blueberry muffins but will not eat zucchini bread. I came up with this as a way to try to sneak some veggies into him along with dessert.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine eggs and sugar.
- Mix in banana, zucchini and blueberries. Add butter and vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; stir into mixture. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into two well-greased loaf pans and bake for 1 hour or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then remove loaves from pans.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk for glaze. Drizzle glaze over the top of the loaves.
- Cool completely before slicing or it will be crumbly.
I made this cake yesterday and it was a hit. I changed a few things to suit taste, needs and what I had available at the time. Reduced the sugar to one and a half cups (next time i will try just one cup), and used mixed frozen berries which I added at the end so that they would stay as whole as possible. I also deleted the nuts as my son is allergic to them.
The result was delicious and the hits of berry make an impact. The best thing is that it makes two cakes; one to eat and one to freeze in portions for lunch boxes (if you can stop the family eating it first, that is). Thanks Jennifer for sharing..
PS Next time I will try olive oil instead of butter for health reasons even though I love buttery cakes..