Recipe by Juenessa
Southern Living, March 2006. If you prefer a less sweet banana pudding, omit the powdered sugar from the whipped cream.
- 4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter melts.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Arrange half of vanilla wafers evenly in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; top with half of banana slices and half of blueberries.
- Spoon half of pudding mixture evenly over fruit.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and chill 4 hours.
- Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread evenly over chilled pudding.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: preparation does not include 4 hour chill time.