Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty whole grain muffin. I make these as jumbo muffins, but this could also be made as 12 regular muffins (be sure to re-adjust cooking time).
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I always use Source Apple Crumble)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2-1 cup mixed berries, fresh or 1⁄2-1 cup mixed berry, frozen
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free raspberry jam (or other flavour as desired)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Spray jumbo muffin tins with nonstick coating.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, Splenda, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- Whisk together banana, milk, yogurt, oil, and egg whites in large bowl.
- Add dry to wet and stir until just combined (add more milk if needed - the batter should be thick). Gently stir in berries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, being careful not to overfill. Top each muffin with a small amount of jam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
I call these the Volcano muffins, lol. The jam oozed out of the top & left a crater. DElicious, nonetheless. The batter seemed dry but I did not add more milk - I just let it sit for a min & it was fine. Teh muffins came out moist & delicious. I used chopped up strawberries & strawberry Simply Fruit. Great recipe. Made for PAC 9/07.