Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A coffee cake version of a great smoothie combination! Bananas and strawberries (or raspberries if you prefer). This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens "Old-Fashioned Home Baking." Prep time is a guess.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagesliced frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened or 1 tablespoon butter
- Grease and lightly flour a 9x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a saucepan, combine UNDRAINED berries and cornstarch. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. If desired, sieve berry mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat 1/2 cup margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 30 seconds or until softened. Add 2/3 cup sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine banana, milk and vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to beaten egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the berry mixture on top.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over berry mixture. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Serve warm.