2 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Morgan Freeman, Oscar Winner, was on the Oprah show and Executive Chef Conny Andersson, of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, shared his recipe; featured in "Morgan Freeman and Friends: Caribbean Cooking for a Cause". Cookbook is to benefit the island of Grenada, hit by hurricane Ivan, a couple of year's ago. They look scrumptious! Freezing of the ice cream varies with different manufacturer's, didn't include the cooling time of 8 hrs for the carpaccio and refrigerating the batter for at least 1 hour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
VANILLA ICE CREAM
VANILLA BEAN SIMPLE SYRUP
PINEAPPLE CARPACCIO (Use 1/4 cup vanilla bean simple syrup)
- 1TO MAKE VANILLA ICE CREAM:.
- 2Split the vanilla bean pods lengthwise and scrape out all the seeds. In a large saucepan, combine the milk and cream, add the seeds and pods, and bring to a slow boil over medium heat.
- 3In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- 4Pour in 1/2 the boiling milk mixture and combine; adding in other 1/2 after combined. Pour into pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 5Remove from heat and immediately strain into another bowl. Place over a second large bowl filled with ice and let cool completely, stirring every 30 minutes. When cool, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the mfg's directions.
- 6TO MAKE VANILLA BEAN SIMPLE SYRUP:.
- 7Bring sugar, leftover vanilla bean pods and water to a boil in small saucepan. When sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean pods. Cool syrup to room temperature.
- 8TO MAKE PINEAPPLE CARPACCIO:.
- 9Cut off the top of the pineapple and following the shape of the fruit, slice off the skin with a serrated knife, making sure to remove all the eyes. Slice the fruit into the thinnest possible rings.
- 10Place each slice on a sheet of plastic wrap, brush with the syrup, rub the brown sugar over the surface, and top with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining slices, transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate overnight.
- 11TO MAKE BANANA BEIGNETS:.
- 12In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Add eggs and 1 cup water; whisk until a smooth paste forms. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 13In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- 14In a deep fryer, heat the oil to 350ºF. Working in batches, dip the bananas in the chilled batter and coat completely. Slip them into the oil and fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15Transfer to paper towels to drain. Dust with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- 16TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH:.
- 17Arrange equal portions of the carpaccio in an overlapping circle on a dessert plate. Lay two pieces of fried banana in the center, and top with one large scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with vanilla bean syrup.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Beignets, Pineapple Carpaccio, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.6
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 426.1 mg
- Sodium 279.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 82.9 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: