Recipe by Manami
Morgan Freeman, Oscar Winner, was on the Oprah show and Executive Chef Conny Andersson, of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, shared his recipe; featured in "Morgan Freeman and Friends: Caribbean Cooking for a Cause". Cookbook is to benefit the island of Grenada, hit by hurricane Ivan, a couple of year's ago. They look scrumptious! Freezing of the ice cream varies with different manufacturer's, didn't include the cooling time of 8 hrs for the carpaccio and refrigerating the batter for at least 1 hour.
VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 2 fresh vanilla beans
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
VANILLA BEAN SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- vanilla bean
PINEAPPLE CARPACCIO (Use 1/4 cup vanilla bean simple syrup)
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- vegetable oil
- 4 bananas, peeled, & sliced lengthwise & quartered
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE VANILLA ICE CREAM:.
- Split the vanilla bean pods lengthwise and scrape out all the seeds. In a large saucepan, combine the milk and cream, add the seeds and pods, and bring to a slow boil over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in 1/2 the boiling milk mixture and combine; adding in other 1/2 after combined. Pour into pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and immediately strain into another bowl. Place over a second large bowl filled with ice and let cool completely, stirring every 30 minutes. When cool, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the mfg's directions.
- TO MAKE VANILLA BEAN SIMPLE SYRUP:.
- Bring sugar, leftover vanilla bean pods and water to a boil in small saucepan. When sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean pods. Cool syrup to room temperature.
- TO MAKE PINEAPPLE CARPACCIO:.
- Cut off the top of the pineapple and following the shape of the fruit, slice off the skin with a serrated knife, making sure to remove all the eyes. Slice the fruit into the thinnest possible rings.
- Place each slice on a sheet of plastic wrap, brush with the syrup, rub the brown sugar over the surface, and top with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining slices, transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate overnight.
- TO MAKE BANANA BEIGNETS:.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Add eggs and 1 cup water; whisk until a smooth paste forms. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a deep fryer, heat the oil to 350ºF. Working in batches, dip the bananas in the chilled batter and coat completely. Slip them into the oil and fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Dust with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH:.
- Arrange equal portions of the carpaccio in an overlapping circle on a dessert plate. Lay two pieces of fried banana in the center, and top with one large scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle with vanilla bean syrup.