Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A simple banana bread - no nuts, chocolate chips or other additions. It tastes like the banana bread from Alligator Pear, a sandwich shop in Calgary.
- 1 cup barley flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup banana, mashed (2 medium bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350F, or 325F for convection oven.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together.
- Cream together vegetable oil, sugar, eggs and bananas. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, stir to combine.
- Spray an 8X4" loaf pan with non-stick spray. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
- This recipe can also be made as 12 muffins - bake for about 20 minutes.
Very easy and quick. I like the higher percentage of barley flour as compared with some other recipes. I may try variations now that the first batch was so good. Substitute Sorghum or honey for the sugar? I've been grinding wheat and corn for some time. I'm just now trying barley. Fun in the kitchen! Thanks