Recipe by Lynne the Pirate Queen
Served at the SeaScape Manor Bed and Breakfast in Highlands, New Jersey, this is banana bread with a twist -- apricots! I love banana breads, and am always on the lookout for something new, so when I spotted this I knew it was worthy of sharing. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 -3 ripe bananas, mashed thoroughly
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 2 x 5-inch pans or one 9 x 5-inch pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla. At low speed, alternately beat flour mixture and mashed bananas into butter mixture. Stir in apricots and chopped nuts.
- Spoon batter prepared pan(s). Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick placed in the center comes out clean (about 40 minutes for small pans and 50 minutes for a large pan). You can place foil over the top for the last 15 minutes if the bread is becoming too brown.
- Note: The bread has a better flavor when it is wrapped and sits overnight (chilled or at room temperature).