1 hr 25 mins
This is an excellent, moist banana bread by itself but the addition of caramelized brown sugar apples make this truly outstanding. You can add nuts or currants. Be sure to use super-ripe bananas (the blacker the better). The banana bread keeps well wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze well wrapped in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for up to 3 weeks. Defrost (still wrapped) at room temperature. The recipe was printed in "The Sweet Melissa Baking Book: Recipes from the Beloved Bakery for Everyone's Favorite Treats" by Melissa Murphy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the apples
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the banana bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups very ripe mashed bananas (2 to 3)
- 1Before you start: Position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly butter and flour a 1 1/2-quart loaf pan.
- 2To make the apples: Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and brown sugar and heat until bubbling. Add the apples and cinnamon and sauté until golden and tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- 3To make the banana bread: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- 4In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 5In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the orange juice mixture, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each flour addition. Stir in the mashed bananas until combined. Then stir in the reserved apples.
- 6Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before unmolding onto the rack to cool further. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Apple Bread (From the Sweet Melissa Bakery)
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.7
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 144.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 2.7 g