Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
Oatmeal--it's so classic, but it's got to be one of the most versatile breakfast foods of all time. Here is one of the many ways that I have enjoyed oatmeal recently--it's so great and a good way to get in some fruit for the day. Serve with a glass of skim milk or a yogurt for a nutritious breakfast!
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 medium banana
- 1 teaspoon shredded unsweetened coconut
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- sugar (optional) or sugar substitute (optional)
- Prepare oatmeal according to package directions on stove top or in microwave, using oats and water.
- Peel and slice banana in half. In a separate bowl, mash half banana with a fork and stir into the oatmeal along with coconut extract. Stir in sugar or sugar substitute if desired. Slice the other half of banana into slices.
- Top oatmeal with unsweetened coconut and banana slices, and chopped walnuts, if desired.
A nice change for oatmeal. I added a bit of coconut extract, too. Roxygirl
Lovely combo, I served mine with some vanilla yoghurt for a tasty & satisfying brekky!
This was a nice change of pace. I used only half a banana though as i wanted the coconut flavor to be stronger. I sprinkled a few chocolate chips in it for my toddler who then gobbled it all up. (she need a new twist on oatmeal too!) Thanks for posting - will DEFINITELY make it again!