Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious stew from Gambia. Posted for ZWT4.
Make and share this Banana and Coconut Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lean beef
- 5 firm green bananas (ensure that they are not ripe)
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb peas
- 6 ounces snow peas, washed
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1 to 1 ½ inch pieces.
- Dice the beef into approximately ½ inch pieces.
- Place the meat in a saucepan, cover with water, add salt.
- Bring to boil and simmer until tender.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent but not browned.
- Add the tomato and the meat mixture.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Continue cooking until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the coconut milk, stirring continuously and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the banana pieces and snow peas.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the bananas are cooked, soft but not mushy.
- Serve hot, over rice.