Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From my very favorite cookbook by Marie Simmons (now all out of print), Pancakes A to Z. She credits her son-in-law, Peter Dilcher, manager of the Café Navarro in Eugene, Oregon. With bananas & mango, these pancakes are perfect for a Caribbean inspired brunch! Posted for ZWT-5.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In large bowl, sift together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In food processor, puree bananas (or mash well with potato masher).
- Add the buttermilk, oil, egg yolks and vanilla. Process or whisk to blend.
- Pour the banana mixture over the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
- In separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter, just until blended.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Brush with a thin film of vegetable oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray. (I prefer the texture the oil provides.).
- For each pancake, pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter onto griddle. Adjust the heat to medium low.
- Cook until the tops are covered with small bubbles and the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Gently turn and cook until lightly browned on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For syrup:.
- Puree the diced mango.
- In a small saucepan, combine mango puree, water & sugar.
- Heat, stirring, until heated through.
- Add the lime juice.
- Serve warm over Ban Pan O La pancakes.
DD & I loved the pancakes which I made gluten free by using Delicious Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Pancakes and incorporating chopped and mashed banana and vanilla with a dash of coconut milk to replace the buttermilk since we are dairy free. I took off a star as I didnt like the mango syrup and in fact preferred the cakes plain. They had the taste of banana fritters. I will make these pancakes again without the syrup. Photo posted. Made for ZWT5 Family Picks for Cooks With Dirty Faces.
We really enjoyed these pancakes, & when coupled with the GREAT TASTING MANGO SYRUP, the 'cakes were OUTSTANDING! This recipe is an absolute keeper! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed on the 1st leg of our tour of the Caribbean with ZWT5]