1/1 Photo of Bamya ( Lamb or Beef and Okra Stew)
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing lamb or 2 lbs beef, cut into 1 in cube
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup peeled seeded and chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 -1 1/2 lb okra
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Okra must be cooked so that its slimy texture is eliminated.
- 2The Greeks have the best technique for achieving this.
- 3Trim the conical tops with a sharp knife, then soak the okra in red wine-viegar (Khall) for 30 minutes, allowing 1/2 cup vinegar per pound.
- 4Drain, rinse and dry the okra and proceed with the recipe.
- 5This dish is popular throughout the Middle East and can be prepared with lamb or beef.
- 6Serve with rice.
- 7Preheat an oven to 325 F (165 C).
- 8In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 4 tablespoons of the butter or oil.
- 9Working in batches, add the meat and fry, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 10Using a slotted spoon transfer to a baking dish or stew pot.
- 11Add the onions to the fat remaining in the frying pan and saute over medium heat until tender and translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- 12Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, tomato paste, the 1 cup stock and mint (if using).
- 13Stir well.
- 14Pour over the meat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 15Cover and bake until all the liquid is absorbed, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 16Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- 17Meanwhile, prepare the okra as directed in the note above.
- 18In a saute pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons butter or oil Add the okra and saute for 3 mins, stirring gently.
- 19Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the okra on top in a spoke pattern.
- 20Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over the surface.
- 21Re-cover the dish and return it to the oven.
- 22Bake for 35 minutes longer.
- 23Add stock or water if the mixture seems too dry.
- 24Serve the"BAMIA" stew piping hot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bamya ( Lamb or Beef and Okra Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.1
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 193.2 mg
- Sodium 483.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 50.7 g