Recipe by realbirdlady
Can be served hot or at room temperature. If you really don't like the texture from the okra, split the pods, soak overnight in water, and drain well before cooking. From "The Africa Cookbook".
Top Review by s_w_i_d_e_r_s_k_i
A delicious and relatively easy dish. I tweaked it a little bit though. I doubled the garlic (cuz I like garlic); I did not peel or seed the tomatoes (cuz I'm lazy); I added about a cup of long beans cup to 1-inch pieces (cuz I had a bunch from my garden); and I added a cup of chicken stock right at the end (cuz I wanted to make sauce/gravy so I could serve it over rice). Thanks 'realbirdlady' for sharing the recipe!
- 4 cups okra, trimmed and split lenthwise (seeded if mature)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 2 jalapenos, minced