Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 6 tomatoes, peeled,chopped
- 1 lb beef, ground
- 1 cup stock
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons plain yogurt
- 3 teaspoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Cut stalks from okra.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan.
- Add okra, saute 6 minutes.
- Drain sauteed okra on paper towels.
- Discard oil, wipe pan with paper towels.
- Heat 2 more tablespoons oil in saucepan.
- Add onion and tomatoes, saute until heated through.
- Add ground beef- cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add stock- bring to a boil.
- Add garlic and salt.
- Simmer until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brush a large baking pan with oil.
- Stir yogurt, sour cream and white pepper into beef mixture.
- Spoon half of the beef mixture over bottom of oiled pan.
- Cover with okra, then with remaining beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon oil.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Garnish with tomato and lemon slices.