Recipe by Dib's
An Egyptian Stew to share with Vegetarians or Vegans. Serve with hot rice.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Delicious. I used organic extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil, a good canned tomatoes which I chopped up and like reviewer AniSarit said, I wouldn't change that, freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh cilantro in place of coriander as that is how I read the recipe, bruised cardamom pods for ease, freshly ground black pepper to taste, not measure, sea salt, to taste as well, fresh okra which I left for a while in a bit of organic apple cider vinegar to keep the slim away, rinsing it off before adding to the dish which I cooked a lot longer to get the cut pods soft (mine were more medium than small). I served it with brown rice and a fresh salad for a great vegan meal. This dish will have a next time. Made again properly for WELCOME TO EGYPT!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup sliced white onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small okra pods (fresh)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium sized heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the okra.
- Bring the mixture to a hard simmer and cook for 5 minutes-stirring often.
- Trim the okra and slice into 1/2 inch rounds and stir in.
- Simmer for 10 minutes-serve hot over rice.