Recipe by BatiksWindmillsAndTurbans
My grandmother was born in Indonesia and growing up we awaited the next time she would make Bami Goreng- "Fried Noodles." She made it with pork, but since I no longer eat pork I substitute chicken here. This is the basic version. You can add any vegetable you like. I add tiny frozen peas and carrots for color, or red or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced using a mandolin.
Top Review by awalde
This was a lovely meal, the flavor was really indonesian! I used wok noodle who "grow". Next time I will use the half amount of noodle or I would double the other ingredient.
Thanks for recipe!
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles or 1 lb egg noodles
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, sliced thin
- 2 cups chopped leeks (clean the leaves well)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup sliced bok choy or 1 cup cabbage, washed
- 1⁄4 cup ketjap manis (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 beef or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot (or 1 tsp powder)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (chili paste) (optional)
- fried onions (optional topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir fry chicken in wok in oil on medium-high heat.
- Add leeks beansprouts and cabbage. Stir fry until cabbage wilts. Add next 7 ingredients.
- Simmer until it comes together and enjoy the smell. In the meantime, fire up a pot of boiling water and prepare spaghetti.
- Throw noodles into chicken mixture. Mix and add more ketjap and/or sambal to taste. Top with fried onion (optional).
- NOTE: A tablespoon of pepper seems like a lot, but it gives the dish a nice zing!