Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My grandmother was born in Indonesia and growing up we awaited the next time she would make Bami Goreng- "Fried Noodles." She made it with pork, but since I no longer eat pork I substitute chicken here. This is the basic version. You can add any vegetable you like. I add tiny frozen peas and carrots for color, or red or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced using a mandolin.
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles or 1 lb egg noodles
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, sliced thin
- 2 cups chopped leeks (clean the leaves well)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup sliced bok choy or 1 cup cabbage, washed
- 1⁄4 cup ketjap manis (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 beef or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot (or 1 tsp powder)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (chili paste) (optional)
- fried onions (optional topping)
- Stir fry chicken in wok in oil on medium-high heat.
- Add leeks beansprouts and cabbage. Stir fry until cabbage wilts. Add next 7 ingredients.
- Simmer until it comes together and enjoy the smell. In the meantime, fire up a pot of boiling water and prepare spaghetti.
- Throw noodles into chicken mixture. Mix and add more ketjap and/or sambal to taste. Top with fried onion (optional).
- NOTE: A tablespoon of pepper seems like a lot, but it gives the dish a nice zing!
This was a lovely meal, the flavor was really indonesian! I used wok noodle who "grow". Next time I will use the half amount of noodle or I would double the other ingredient.
Thanks for recipe!
This is great! The rating is based on the following changes: I used egg noodles, no chicken breasts (served this with Kai Pad Bai Kaprow - Recipe #28649), 1.5 leeks, 1/2t chicken bouillion, and I added about 4T ketjap manis in addition to 1/4c (recipe from dvo.com - just google ketjap manis). I forgot to add the ginger and I didn't have any sambal oelek.
We liked this one a LOT! I made half a recipe for 3 people and still had leftover. So a full recipe would feed well over 6. I used a 16oz ribeye sliced, for the meat. I added sliced mushrooms, carrots, and bean sprouts with the leek, but skipped adding the celery. I also used a 9 ounce package of fresh Chinese noodles instead of the spaghetti and it was wonderful. Thanks again for a great recipe and thank your grandmother again as well.