Recipe by - Carla -
There are as many recipes for Bami Goreng as there are people to make them. Bami Goreng is an Indonesian dish that's traditional to Holland. It seems like a lot of work but it really isn't - if I'm having company for dinner I slice, dice and prepare all my ingredients (including cooking the noodles) and place them in separate zip-lock bags in the refrigerator until I'm ready to use. This makes actual cooking time a snap! This is my version and I hope you enjoy it. You can spice it up if you like by adding more or less sambal.
Top Review by Stay in the Bay NZ
The flavours in this dish are surpurb, will definately make again, added chinese cabbage, 21/2 Tbspns fish sauce and 1/4 cup ketchup topped with chopped peanuts at the end and squeezed lime juice over the top, what a burst of flavour the lime gives it. Thanks so much for posting
- 350 g bami noodles (or other style Asian Noodle)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 500 g chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 175 g ham, cubed
- 150 g shrimp, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (Indonesian Red Chili Paste)
- 4 -6 tablespoons ketjap manis (Indonesian Sweet Soya Sauce)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Heat a large wok or frying pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Swirl in the beaten egg to make a thin omelet.
- Remove from pan allow to cool; cut into thin strips and set aside.
- In a large wok style pan heat oil.
- Saute the chicken with garlic, coriander, ginger and broth until chicken is no longer pink (5 to 7 minutes).
- Add sliced onion, carrot, red pepper, leek and ketjap manis; sauté 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add cubed ham, uncooked shrimp, and sambal oelek; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add sliced omelet and noodles; mix well and heat throughly before serving.
- Serve with lychees and kroepoek, enjoy!