Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Given how delicious crab fluffs are, it's a surprise that they remain virtually unknown outside of Maryland (unlike the über-popular crab cake). Truly addictive crab fluffs are about two things -- sweet crab meat and crispy batter! Serve these little morsels at your next party with lemon wedges, tartar sauce or white horseradfsh and ketchup, and these fluffs will be gone so fast you'll wish you had made more of them!.;) CuisineAtHome, Issue 74, April 2009.
FOR THE CRAB MIXTURE
- 12 ounces pasteurized lump crabmeat, drained (about 1/2 lb. meat)
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, that's up to you (less (or more)
FOR THE BATTER
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup chilled beer (we used beer!) or 1⁄4 cup club soda (we used beer!)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil
- Combine crab meat, panko, scallions, and zest in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and cayenne pepper.
- Gently fold mayonnaise mixture into crab mixture until the two are thoroughly combined; try to avoid breaking up the crab meat.
- Stir together the egg yolks, milk, beer, and 1 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning for the batter in a large bowl.
- Sift in flour and baking powder; stir mixture with a fork until batter is just combined. (Some lumps are OK.).
- Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat to 360º degrees.
- Form crab mixture into balls the size of large gum balls (about one rounded tablespoons each).
- Working in batches,coat crab balls with batter, then use slotted spoon to carefully lay them into hot oil.
- Turn fluffs frequently until they're evenly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Remove fluffs to a paper-towel-lined tray.
- Serve fluffs immediately, or keep them warm in a 200º degree oven for up to 30 minutes.