Given how delicious crab fluffs are, it's a surprise that they remain virtually unknown outside of Maryland (unlike the über-popular crab cake). Truly addictive crab fluffs are about two things -- sweet crab meat and crispy batter! Serve these little morsels at your next party with lemon wedges, tartar sauce or white horseradfsh and ketchup, and these fluffs will be gone so fast you'll wish you had made more of them!.;) CuisineAtHome, Issue 74, April 2009.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CRAB MIXTURE
- 12 ounces pasteurized lump crabmeat, drained (about 1/2 lb. meat)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, that's up to you (less (or more)
FOR THE BATTER
- 1Combine crab meat, panko, scallions, and zest in a bowl.
- 2In a separate bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and cayenne pepper.
- 3Gently fold mayonnaise mixture into crab mixture until the two are thoroughly combined; try to avoid breaking up the crab meat.
- 4Stir together the egg yolks, milk, beer, and 1 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning for the batter in a large bowl.
- 5Sift in flour and baking powder; stir mixture with a fork until batter is just combined. (Some lumps are OK.).
- 6Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat to 360º degrees.
- 7Form crab mixture into balls the size of large gum balls (about one rounded tablespoons each).
- 8Working in batches,coat crab balls with batter, then use slotted spoon to carefully lay them into hot oil.
- 9Turn fluffs frequently until they're evenly browned, about 2 minutes.
- 10Remove fluffs to a paper-towel-lined tray.
- 11Serve fluffs immediately, or keep them warm in a 200º degree oven for up to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baltimore Crab Fluffs
Serving Size: 1 (694 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 156.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning
Old Bay Seasoning