Recipe by Brian Holley
Less than 30 mins to cook this dish. The dhal is spiced with a tarka. Very easy to cook,this has a good flavour and goes well with a beef or lamb curry as a second dish.
Top Review by PhilH
OK Brian, I forgot to review this!! Dare I say that apart from this being near perfect for a chicken and dhal dish, I think I have actually improved it!! At the risk of a telling off, i chance to say that Mung Dhal for the split peas (or an addition), melts in nicely. Secondly, the tomatoes, rather than an uncooked decoration went in chopped and cooked slowly for about 30 mins on top of yr cooking time. I increased coriander to a tsp. The tarka is absolutely essential and its vital to add just before serving. Another point is that fresh curry leaves can be hard to get but adding around 12 dried is almost as good! Dare I say. try it?!
- 8 ounces skinless chicken breasts, and cubed
- 1 ounce split peas, pre-soaked
- 2 ounces red lentils
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, pulp
- 1 teaspoon ginger, pulp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 green chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 4 curry leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the split peas and the lentils, cover with water and cook till soft and mushy.
- In the meantime heat the oil in a wok and fry the onions till golden. Stir in the garlic, ginger , turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, ground coriander and salt.
- Stir well and add the chicken and fry for 6 mins.Add 11/2 tbsp of the fresh coriander leaves, green chilli, lemon juice and the water cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the lentils (dhal),tomatoes and the remaining coriander leaves. Turn off the heat.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds, when they start to pop add the garlic, red chillies, and the curry leaves, cook for 1 minute Pour over the the chicken and lentils and serve.